Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Politics

I've got a few things to say about politics. Please note that this is simply my opinion and ranting, it is not intended to spark a debate, nor offend anyone. It's just a few things I'd like to get off my chest, and a few hypocrisies I'd like to point out.

*deep breath*

Let's go.


First off, I have recently placed myself in a situation where I am forced to hear both sides of issues. I blame all those years of debate for forcing me to search out both sides. (It's Twitter, by the way, get one! Follow @asilannax. We'll be better friends because of it, I promise.)

Now, the main issue:

Obama is not evil.

Obama is not God.

Obama is a man.

He might have sneaky, underhanded intentions (who are we to know for sure?) or he might just be an inexperienced, stupid "kid" with too much power.

I'm just tired of hearing Obama trashed about the stupidest things. I agree his policies as a whole could ruin our nation, but how he shakes someone's hand isn't. Rest assured that I am in no way an Obama supporter, I rallied against him strongly during the election process in every way possible. However, weren't the Republicans the ones saying, "even if you agree with Bush's policies or not, he's still our president and it's your duty as an American to respect him." All right, fine. Take your own advice for once. Don't talk about how hypocritical the other side is when you are as well. That's hypocrisy at its finest. Did I think Bush was the best president our nation has ever seen? No. No, I did not. He certainly was not. However, if you look at his reign as president, our nation suffered the greatest terrorist attack it's ever seen in his first term. He dealt with it in a way he thought fit, and America agreed with him. His second term brought about one of the worst natural disasters the United States has seen. Bush wasn’t a perfect president, and he made a lot of mistakes, but he did get a lousy rap from the media. By his second term, I was not a Bush supporter, but I think he handled the war perfectly at the beginning, and gave America just what they asked for.

Now on to a big hot spot in my book, this would be Fox News. OHMIGOD THE HORROR I JUST LOST FIVE FRIENDS! However, since this post promised to be honest, I will be. I’m so tired of conservatives sitting around lambasting CNN and NBC for being “biased.” Yes, they think Obama is the Savior. Accept it. Fox News thinks he’s the anti-Christ. There’re biases everywhere, you just don’t see it when someone agrees with you. Argue and worry about Obama’s policies, and where he’s taking this country, not if he is “trying to hide Jesus,” or “BFF with dictators.” This whole blown-out of proportion handshake deal pisses me off to no end. I agree there is something sneaky about Obama that seems slightly scary, but being overly paranoid and freaking out over his every move is not the answer. I have seen more ridiculous theories on Fox News than on any other news station ever. “Is Obama purposefully hiding images of Jesus?” (Mike Huckabee’s response, “We have bigger things to worry about here.” Finally, someone with some sense here.) “Did Time magazine purposefully try to make Sarah Palin look ugly?” (Seriously, guys? SERIOUSLY?!) Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the way Fox usually tries to show both sides, but for the main part, the rest of their coverage is focusing so hard on being so negative that it’s nauseating. I challenge Fox fans to watch the opposing side for a week, read political blogs from both sides, talk with people who don’t agree with you. Try to find out as much as you can about your “opponent,” not so you can defeat them, but simply so you can learn something. Ultimately, go with your own convictions and beliefs, but don’t follow whatever is shoved down your throat by any news station.

0 comments: